Last Updated on January 1, 2021 by Jack Sanders
- Standing or walking around for 8 to 12 hours without rest, which puts tremendous pressure on their feet and joints
- Being exposed to getting injured, not only because of the nature of their job but also given other externalities, such as heavy objects falling on their toe area which could seriously injure them
- Dealing with rainy, cold, snowy or hot and humid days without the proper footwear to keep their feet comfy and dry
- Slipping and falling when walking on slippery surfaces during a patrol
- Getting deeply frustrated about having spent more a lot of money on shoes that are not durable at all
There is only a particular group of features that could help you in dealing with all the problems previously talked about.
Luckily, I made this list of the best boots for security guards to aid you in saving the time and money it requires to find a proper pair of boots. I hope it helps…
List Of The Best Shoes For Security Guards
This is the list of the best boots for security guards I came up with after extensive testing and research, enjoy…
- 1) 5.11 Men’s ATAC 2.0 6″ Tactical Side-Zip Military Boots for Security Guards
- 2) Bates Men’s Ulta-lites 8″ Tactical Sport Comp Toe Boots for Security Guards
- 3) Merrell Work Moab 2 8″ Tactical Response Waterproof Boots for Security Guards
- 4) Danner Scorch 8″ Side-Zip Boots for Security Guards
- 5) Bates Men’s GX-8 Gore-Tex Waterproof Boots for Security Guards
1) 5.11 Men’s Atac 2.0 6″ Tactical Side-Zip Military Boots For Security Guards
Enjoying the comfort of a good pair of boots for security guards is something pretty difficult to achieve.
Luckily, this is exactly what I did with these 5.11 ATAC 2.0 military boots as they came with Ortholite footbeds with Achilles heels flex zone and a shock mitigation system which, in combination, gave my feet that cushioning they needed to recover, even after spending 10 to 12 hours on my feet walking on concrete.
Moreover, I was able to enjoy a great fit while feeling my feet dry and fresh, even on hot and humid days, thanks to their YKK zippers and airflow breathable tongue construction, respectively.
I despise the feeling of feeling worried when walking on slippery surfaces when doing my patrols.
This is why I loved these 5.11 tactical boots, as they come with slip and oil resistant outsoles which provided me with great traction on all surfaces, giving me the adaptability I need to be comfortable to patrol around all the places I want.
The long hours I work as a security guard are tiring and frustrating enough to have to watch how my hard-earned money is spent on a pair of tactical boots that doesn’t last more than a few months.
Luckily for me, these 5.11 ATAC tactical side zip boots came with a strobal construction and a full-length dual durometer which, working together, made these boots not only lightweight and flexible but also sturdy and highly durable!
Features and Specifications
- Full-Length Dual Durometer
- Ortholite Foot Bed With Achilles Heel Flex Zone For Enhanced Comfort And Flexibility.
- Shock Mitigation System
- Strobal Construction With Lighter Weight Upper Construction Making These Military Boots Ideal For Use As Patrol, Missions, Or Law Enforcement Boots.
- The Slip And Oil Resistant Outsole With 840D Nylon Upper Gives You Great Traction.
- Air Flow Breathable Tongue Construction
- Ykk Side Zipper
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 117 reviews in Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given it a 4.3 out of 5 rating on average.
2) Bates Men’s Ulta-Lites 8″ Tactical Sport Comp Toe Boots For Security Guards
No security guard wants to walk for 10 to 12 hours (like they’re used to) on a humid day and face discomfort, right?
Well, thanks to the guys as Bates, these Bates Ultra Lites tactical boots came with breathable mesh linings and ergonomic footbeds which kept my feet comfy, dry and smelling fresh on those heavy summer days.
Additionally, the boots came with side zips and lace-up closures with a D-ring lacing at the upper shaft which gave the boots not only a great look but also made them fit almost perfectly on my feet.
The best way to know you’re about to get a boot for security guards that is protective is by making sure it has a great outsole.
And this is exactly what I did with these Bates tactical boots as they came with tractionable rubber outsoles which gave me reliable traction on almost all surfaces.
Secondly, the boots came with the so-called Bates DRYGuard waterproofing that gave me that extra layer of safety, knowing that my feet would be dry even when having to patrol under the rain of when exposed to other liquids.
Working as a security guard watching a warehouse, as I do, you are demanded to be all day on your feet walking in all kinds of terrains, which puts lots of stress to your boots that could break them apart pretty quickly.
The good news is that these Bates Ultra-lites tactical boots came manufactured with 100% premium leather and following a contrast welt stitching and brogue trim at sides which give these boots a reliable and durable structure.
Features and Specifications
- Rubber Sole
- Apron-Toe Work Boot Featuring Contrast Welt Stitching And Brogue Trim At Sides
- Lace-Up Closure With D-Ring Lacing At Upper Shaft
- 100% Premium Full-Grain And Nubuck Leathers From An Lwg Silver-Rated Tannery For Comfort And Durability
- Laces Made With 100 Percent Recycled Nylon
- 100 Percent Recycled Pet Breathable Mesh Lining
- Bates Dryguard Waterproofing
- Side Zip For Quick On/Off
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 637 reviews in Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given it a 4.4 out of 5 rating on average.
3) Merrell Work Moab 2 8″ Tactical Response Waterproof Boots For Security Guards
With long days working on their feet, security guards need comfort features to help them in avoiding feeling awful feet pains at the end of the day.
This is why I loved these Merrell Work Moab, as they came with KINETIC FIT contoured footbeds with arch support and gel cushioning, and molded nylon arch shanks which made the experience of walking all day on concrete much easier to handle.
Additionally, the boots came with a breathable mesh lining which kept my toes and feet fresh and dry in those days where I had to work outside and it was sunny and humid.
I can’t recommend a boot that doesn’t make the lives of security guards easier.
This is why I’m happy to say that these Merrell Work Moab tactical boots came with convenience features such as YKK side zippers, lace-up closure, and heel pull tabs which made the experience of using these boots much comfortable and convenient.
I don’t like doing my job as a security guard knowing that I could slip and injure myself when walking around.
This is why I liked these Merrell tactical boots given that they had Vibram TCS+ outsoles which delivered me superior traction when walking on slippery surfaces.
To make things even safer, their waterproof membrane kept my feet dry and protected when I had to do my patrolling under de rain.
Isn’t it the best when you see your one hundred dollar pair of tactical shoes last for many years? I mean, you get a crazy feeling of proudness and achievement.
The good news is that you’re going to enjoy exactly that with these boots as they came with manufactured with YKK side zippers, ripstop textile, and abrasion-resistant rubber toe caps which made this Merrell boots one of the toughest, yet comfortable, pairs of tactical boots I’ve ever tested.
Features and Specifications
- Shaft Measures Approximately 8″ From Arch
- Bellows Tongue Helps Keep Debris Out
- Lace-Up Closure System With Non-Metallic Hardware
- Heavy-Duty Ykk&Reg; Medial Side Zipper With A Hook-And-Loop Strap To Cover Zipper Pull
- Protective, Abrasion-Resistant Rubber Toe Cap
- Heel Pull Tab
- Rubberized Mesh Collar For Added Support And Long-Lasting Durability
- Breathable Mesh Lining Offers A Great In-Shoe Feel
- Kinetic Fit&Trade; Contoured Footbed With Zonal Arch Support And Heel Cushioning For Daylong Comfort
- M Select&Trade; Dry Waterproof Membrane Keeps Feet Protected From Outside Elements
- Vibram Tc5+ Outsole Delivers Traction On Any Surface
- Ripstop Textile Are Built To Stand Up To The Toughest Jobs
- Air Cushioning In The Heel Absorbs Shock And Adds Stability
- Molded Nylon Arch Shank Supplies Flexible Support
- Meets Astm F2413-11 Eh Safety Standards
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 80 reviews in Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given it a 4.4 out of 5 rating on average.
4) Danner Scorch 8″ Side-Zip Boots For Security Guards
There’re times when security guards have to patrol for 10 to 12 hours without taking breaks. This puts tremendous stress on their feet and joints.
Luckily, these Danner Scorch boots’ Ortholite footbeds and plyolite midsoles gave my feet the shock absorption and cushioning they needed in those times to prevent any feet pain from arising.
Furthermore, the boots had leather uppers made with breathable textile that let the air flow freely through the boots, keeping my feet fresh and cool.
Finally, features such as inside YKK zippers and a speed lacing system made these boots good for putting on and taking off, on top of giving me a great fit.
When getting a pair of boots for security guards, you should be completely certain that it’s gonna be safe.
This is exactly what happened with these Danner boots, as they came with the so-called Danner Scorch outsoles which gave me perfect traction for all surfaces, therefore, keeping me safe from any slips and injuries.
There’are times where I have to do a quick patrol under the rain. Those are the times where I need proper boots to keep my feet dry.
In that sense, this Danner boots came with a waterproof liner which kept my toes 100% dry and fresh when dealing with those situations.
To top things off, these Danner boots were not only safe and comfy but also extremely durable.
Why? well because of features such as their polishable synthetic leather and a streamlined construction which made these boots flexible and rugged, all at the same time.
Features and Specifications
- Shaft Measures Approximately Mid-Calf From Arch
- Lightweight, Breathable Upper Featuring Die-Cut Panels For Increased Air Circulation
- Danner Scorch Outsole Is Slip Resistant And Designed With A Stability Control Arch
- Virtually No Break-In Period
- Polishable Synthetic Leather On The Toe Area Meets Uniform Requirements
- Sleek, Streamlined Construction That Is Excellent For Light Trail, Multi-Sport, And Casual Use
- Waterproof Danner Dry Is A 100% Waterproof Liner That Pulls Moisture Away From The Skin For A Drier, More Breathable Environment
- Inside Ykk&Reg; Zipper Closure For Easy On And Off
- Speed-Lace System With Special Hardware That Allows You To Tighten From Toe To Top With One Swift Tug For A Secure, Tight Fit
- Removable Ortholite&Trade; Footbed Is Made Of Open-Cell Polyurethane And Has Three Layers Of Varying Density That Are Combined For Maximum Cushioning And Support
- Plyolite Midsole Provides Lightweight Comfort, Durability And Added Shock Absorption
- Nylon Shank For Lightweight Stability
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 13 reviews in Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given it a 4.4 out of 5 rating on average.
5) Bates Men’s Gx-8 Gore-Tex Waterproof Boots For Security Guards
The best way to make sure that a security guard will go through their day without any pains is by getting boots with proper comfort features.
This is why I loved these Bates GX-8 boots for security guards as they came with EVA cushioned midsoles which gave me that support most security guards need when they have to patrol for 10 hours on hard surfaces without any rests.
Additionally, the boots came with a GORE-TEX membrane with a moisture-wicking lining that kept my feet dry and smelling fresh during hot and humid days.
The YKK side zippers were also essential for improving my experience when testing the boots as they made the processes of putting on and taking off the boots much easier.
Patrolling on slippery surfaces is a common thing for security guards which is why features such as these Bates boots’ slip-resistant outsoles came to much help during the testing period.
I also liked the non-metallic composite toe which kept my toes safe without sacrificing the boots’ lightweight structure.
To make things even safer, features such as a waterproof leather membrane that kept my feet dry during rainy days were added to these Bates GX-8 boots.
Security guards hate wasting their hard-earned money, which is why they wanna make sure that their next pair of boots is going to last for, at least, a few years.
This is why I liked the cement construction and reliable YKK zippers which in combination did not only gave the boots a great look but also a rugged assembly that would last me for years to come, regardless of the level of use I would give to them.
Features and Specifications
- Durable Waterproof Leather And Nylon Upper
- Cushioned Removable Insert And Ethylene Vinyl Acetate Midsole
- Non-Metallic And Polishable Toe
- Built With A Breathable And Waterproof Gore-Tex Membrane With Moisture Wicking Lining That Stands Up To Any Weather To Keep Your Feet Warm And Dry
- Ykk Side Zipper For Easy On And Easy Off Lasts Day After Day
- The Rugged Rubber Slip Resistant Outsole Provides Traction When You Need It Most And Is Built To Last
- Eva Cushioned Midsole
- Cement Construction
Customer Reviews and Scores
There are more than 1105 reviews in Amazon.com about this product at the time of writing and they have given it a 4.3 out of 5 rating on average.
My Verdict: The Best Shoes For Security Guards Are
Bates Men’S Gx-8 Gore-Tex Waterproof Boots For Security Guards
If you’d like to know why I selected these Bates boots as the best boots for security guards then make sure to click the button down below to read their review!
Quick Comparison Table
1) 5.11 Men's ATAC 2.0 6" Tactical Side Zip Military Boots for Security Guards
2) Bates Men's Ulta-lites 8" Tactical Sport Comp Toe Boots for Security Guards
3) Merrell Work Moab 2 8" Tactical Response Waterproof Boots for Security Guards
4) Danner Scorch 8" Side-Zip Boots for Security Guards
5) Bates Men's GX-8 Gore-Tex Waterproof Boots for Security Guards
Must-Have Features For The Best Shoes For Security Guards
There is a certain mix of attributes the best boots for security guards must have to solve all the problems depicted at the beginning of this article.
This is my attempt to list all of them:
1) Comfort Features
A) Lightweight Materials
The pain you get when you patrol for 8 to 12 hours straight with no breaks on hard surfaces is pretty awful, especially if you don’t have the proper footwear.
This is why I recommend security guards to get boots with lightweight materials that will let you walk around without bulky or heavy boots which will make your feet feel much lighter and let them recover.
B) Cushioned Footbeds & Shock Absorbing Midsoles
I know that I will hate myself if I don’t make the maximum effort to get boots that are the most comfortable for security guards.
A pretty effective way to make sure I avoid this is getting boots with cushioned footbeds and shock-absorbing midsoles as they support your feet and absorb all the impact coming from hard surfaces which lets your feet rest and avoids all feet pains.
C) Get Specifically-Made Shoes
Getting boots that were specially made for security guards is always a nice idea as you’ll be enjoying features made for walking all day on hard concrete instead of getting running shoes that don’t support your ankles or provide the shock absorption necessary.
2) Protective Features
A) Composite Safety Toes
Jobs like being a security guard demand footwear with proper safety toes to prevent any hard injuries.
This is why I recommend getting boots with composite toes as it’s the best way to make sure that you will be not only protected but that your boots are going to still be lightweight, which is important for most security guards.
B) Protection Against The Elements
No one wants to be cold or wet, right? (and especially security guards!!)
This is why getting boots with proper waterproofing or insulation is essential for those security guards that work outdoors or are exposed climates that may ask for these features.
C) Slip And Oil Resistant Outsoles
Another huge problem for security guards is the surfaces that they walk on as many of them tend to be slippery of sketchy in some way or another.
Therefore, getting work boots with slip and oil resistant outsoles is essential for those security guards that work on places where they tend to be exposed to these types of surfaces.
3) Durability Features
A) Trustworthy Construction Methods Using Great Materials
Durability features such as a trustworthy construction method to manufacture the boots and great materials are essential for security guards as they guarantee them that the boots are going to last instead of breaking down after only a few months of heavy use.
How Did I Test The Best Shoes For Security Guards
Security guards usually want to know how good your advice is before pulling the trigger and spending money on their next pair of boots. And I completely agree, you can’t trust anybody these days.
For those that are curious, these are the detailed tests I performed to arrive at the list of the best boots for security guards:
In the comfort test, I made sure to walk on hard surfaces (such as concrete) for 10 to 12 hours without rests to replicate the conditions most security guards are exposed to.
Those boots that performed the best in terms of comfort were the ones I chose to execute the rest of the tests.
In terms of protection, I separated the test into two sections.
The first section was testing the boots by letting fall heavyweights from safe heights to the toe area of the boots to see how the safety toes performed.
The second section was testing the boots by walking on slippery surfaces to test the traction they achieved with their outsoles.
To test the boots’ durability I made sure to use each pair of boots for months without stop, beating them as much as I could to see whether they maintained their shape or not.
Benefits Of The Best Shoes For Security Guards
Getting any of the boots listed as ‘the best boots for security guards‘ in this article will come with great benefits, such as:
Let Your Body Recover And Avoid All Pain!
With heavily demanding jobs, security guards have to stand on their feet or walk around hard surfaces for most of their work shifts, which tend to last 8 to 10 hours.
This puts a lot of strain on their feet and generates all sorts of pain. Luckily, the best boots for security guards have proper ergonomic features that let their feet rest and recover, even if they have to work in those types of conditions.
Keep You And Your Feet Safe
If you want to avoid getting injured then you’ll love any one of the boots reviewed in this article as the majority come with protective features to avoid injures or slips that might lead to you getting hurt.
Be Always Prepared
Some security guards spend most of their day exposed to the elements and if they don’t have the proper footwear this can become a huge headache.
The good news is that any of the boots in this article have the right attributes to let you adapt to any weather (whether it’d be cold or hot) to keep your feet fresh, dry and comfy.
Pro Tips For Security Guards
Certain tips could make the lives of security guards much easier. The thing is that most of them are ‘secretive’ or just come with decades of experience.
This is my try to unveil them:
Walk Different Routes
Adopting different routes when patrolling is an excellent way to make sure you are covering your area efficiently and not following patterns recognizable by any third party.
Working out and keeping yourself in shape (or at least trying to) is another way to make sure that you have the proper muscle structure and aerobic capacity to let your body recover after long workdays.
Know Your Pace & Take Rests
Take rests, always take rests.
Most security guards tend to have all the energy the first three hours into their work and they end up suffering the rest of their shifts both physically and mentally.
This could easily be prevented by taking short 10 to 15 minutes rests seating down which helps you in clearing your head and also in recovering your body.
Use The Proper Footwear (Of Course)
As you may already notice, I give huge importance to the boots security guards are using (which is why I made this article).
It might not be clear but I’m going to give it my best shot: if you don’t get a proper pair of boots for security guards you’ll end up regretting it BIG TIME.
Pay Attention To Ergonomics
If you already tried most of the previous tips and you still are having feet or other types of pains then you might be messing up with the loads you are putting on your body.
Paying attention to your ergonomics might be, then, your solution. So, make sure that your gear is properly distributed in your duty belt as that’s a great way to avoid long term back and feet pains.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are very frequent questions that security guards have in terms of their profession and their next pair of boots.
These are the most important ones, with their respective answers (of course)…
What Are The Recommended Heights For The Best Shoes For Security Guards?
The height of the boots is a personal preference. There is one rule that applies here, the higher the height the more protection at the expense comfort and flexibility.
Therefore, I recommend security guards getting boots with 6 or 8 inches shafts as it’s the best way to secure both protection, ankle stability, and comfort.
What Lacing System Is Best For The Best Shoes For Security Guards?
This is another answer that mostly relies on preference.
When getting boots with a speed lacing system you’ll be getting laces that have close to zero friction at the expense of a higher price. On the other hand, if you get tactical boots with a traditional lacing system, you’ll get laces that are a bit cheaper but not as durable or convenient.
How Do I Take Care Of The Boots?
Taking care of a boot is an art that you learn with years. Luckily for you, if you follow my next guide you’ll have a simple step by step process that will let you maintain your boots in an “as new” condition for years to come.
Make sure to clean the boots with a damp cloth. Remove all the dirt. Repeat as many times this step until the boot is completely clean.
Let the boots dry in a warm and dry environment. Once they are dry, apply a thin layer of conditioner (if they are made of leather, use leather conditioner) and massage the paste into the boots’ material with a clean cloth until it is gone.
Again, let the boots dry for 2 to 4 hours until they are completely dry and voila! your boots look as good as new!
What Type Of Insulation Is Best For The Best Shoes For Security Guards?
This will highly depend on the kind of cold you are exposed to.
If you are exposed to temperatures that go from 30°F to 50°F, then your best bet is going for 200gr of insulation.
On the other hand, if you are exposed to colder temperatures, 400gr to 600gr of insulation might be best.
Finally, if you are used to dealing with extreme cases of cold, then going for 800gr to 1000gr of insulation should be your best bet!